New SDF Extension for VS Code — problems
NetSuite recently “released” the SuiteCloud Development Framework Extension for Visual Studio Code. I quoted “released” because 1) they were ~2 weeks late in actually making it available after 2021.2 even though the release notes said it was published, and 2) all of the online help links point… to the CLI SDF framework.
I have a directory structure (under GitHub and a local repo) that goes something like: CompanyUtilities/Clients/ClientA/NetSuite SDF. I used the in-extension tools to create an SDF project, so the path for this is CompanyUtilities/Clients/ClientA/NetSuite SDF/ClientProjectA. (Path names changed to protect the innocent.)
The next step is to connect it to an account. Attempting to run this from the extension produces the error:
ClientProjectA: No manifest.xml file was found in “g:\src\GitHub\CompanyUtilities”. Make sure the active file in the editor belongs to a valid project structure before running this command. For more information about the project structure, see https://system.netsuite.com/app/help/helpcenter.nl?fid=section_155931221634.html.
However, the project was created in the ClientProjectA subfolder, not in the git root folder. The extension performed this action itself.
Does anyone have insight into why the extension expects the manifest file in a folder different from where it created it? And how to fix it? Commiserations welcome.
Why not use SDF CLI in node. That’s what I’m using . It will create everything for you when you initiate your project folder. https://www.npmjs.com/package/@oracle/suitecloud-cli
It’s a little more convenient to add it to the editor and be able to run it from there. But it looks like that the extension (written by Oracle) expects the project root to be the same as the git root? That would be a lame limitation. The extension fails even when the manifest.xml file that it is complaining about is already open in the editor.
I did install the CLI kit and was able to setup account information, but now I am getting an error about “To complete this action, the SuiteCloud Development Framework (SDF) feature must be enabled in the account”– when the SDF feature clearly is enabled.
The main benefit for the SDF that I am looking for is to be able to pull non-scripting custom objects into the project so that they can be managed together. But it seems to be more trouble than it’s worth.
The issue was: the authorization was tied to the sandbox account, where SDF was turned off. The authorization info does not show which instance it’s connected to unless you use something like account:manageauth –list to see the URL.