RE: Workflow that auto-populates DISCOUNT item when CUSTOMER chosen
How can I create a work order, or designation, that automatically assigns a discount item to a sales order, once the customer is populated? One of our customer’s receives a 17% discount to their entire sales order, every time. We want to avoid creating additional price levels – but it is easy to forget to manually click this discount item when creating the sales order.
I understand you want to avoid price levels, but this is the way I would do it as it is the ‘cleanest’, uses no customisation (which means NS runs quicker) and is scalable (if there are more customers that you want to apply a 17% discount to, or a different % discount).
- Create a new Price Level
- Enter “-17%” into the “Markup/Discount %” field
- Tick “Update Existing Prices”
- Set the “Price Level” on the Customer Record (normally under the “Financial” tab)
Here are the advantages:
- When you create a new order for this customer, it automatically applies that price level, no manual intervention needed.
- Other customers can use that price level in the future
- You can easily add other price levels for other customers with different discounts
- If you change the price of the base price, it automatically updates the price levels
If you want the customer to ‘know’ that they are on a special discount level, you could add the price level name to the email/PDF template too (and you could call the price level “17% off” or something).
In theory you could do what you have asked for with a workflow. But because I suspect you have more than one SKU per order, I haven’t been able to get it to work (because I can’t add a “Subtotal” line via Workflow.
I found this forum when my search results for this exact same question showed me this page! The disadvantages of using price levels is that it erodes true gross margin. It doesn’t allow you to capture gross sales as gross sales on your P&L with any price less than gross as a discount.
I tried doing the workflow route but I’m stuck. We created a custom field at the customer master with discount % and the discount name. I set my State 1 to set field value using Customer as the Record (Join Field).
If I set Field = Discount Item then no fields come up as selectable in the From Field. If I set Field = Discount Rate then I don’t see the Rate fields we added at the customer record.
Anyone know why, or have any success going this route?